Sunday April 6th was Round 2 of the PCRA (NSW) annual motorcycle championships. Sydney Motorsport Park hosted this round on the South Circuit, utilising the new 800mtr track addition with it sweeping bends and undulating elevations. It truly is a spectacular addition to the circuit, and provided excitement and many challenges for the riders.
Early on in the morning session the weather was coolish but mainly cloudy with sunny breaks. It looked like a great day of dry racing. This unfortunately was shortlived, as by 10:30am it was sporadically raining, which built to a steady downpour by mid afternoon.
The healthy field of 96 entrants got underway on time, and the morning session saw some very quick times. In the New Era 125cc class, Leanne Nelson and Edward Marsden shared the two race wins, both on Honda 125’s. Marsden had an exceptional run in race two, as the weather closed in he created a new lap record of 1:19:94.

In the Motorlites/Superlites 80-200cc Tyler Bradford and Anthony Marsden each took a race win, both of them breaking lap records with Bradford holding on for a second place in the second race and bettering his earlier lap record as well. A good effort and valuable points towards his championship aspirations.

Wade Lewis in the Pre-Modern F2 class on a CBR600 set a lap record in his first race win ( 1:13:66) and went on in awful weather conditions to better it by 2.3sec with a 1:11:32 in his second race win. Incredible!!

Troy Galvin rode his ZXR750 to back to back race wins in the P6 750cc races. Sitting in fifth place in the championship, after two 5th places in Round 1, these wins will catapault him up the rankings. No lap record, but 2 sec in front of his nearest competitor, gave him some nice breathing space on a slippery track. Troy’s plan was obviously to set a pace out front, and let the field make its mistakes trying to chase him down. It worked a treat for him.
Bob Garner in the P4 350-500cc class, won all three of his races, in the only category to complete all three of its scheduled races.

This was due to the fact that as the afternoon wore on the rain bucketed down bringing strong gusting winds with it and at one stage was so strong that it actually blew a bike over.

The event continued and at the height of the storm one rider was heard to exclaim ”…oh yeah, that’d be right, its my race!” By 4pm however, the track had water streaming across itand race organizers called a riders briefing. When the conditions were explained to the assembled riders a vote was taken and the meeting was officially ended after race 15.

– Words and pictures by Rob Annesley