Session Bookings open the first Wednesday of the month (the day after previous event) at 12:00hrs (noon).
Sessions are booked through HUMANITIX.
Since 2016, hundreds of Learner Drivers have benefited from NIGHTDRIVE FOR LEARNERS, the free community road-safety initiative for young drivers held monthly at Sydney Motorsport Park. NIGHTDRIVE is particularly suited to first-timers as well as L-Platers with some experience, providing a unique opportunity to increase their on-road experience especially at night, and without all the added stress on regular busy road traffic (and oncoming cars!).
Learner Drivers (with their supervisors alongside) gain much needed experience in a safe environment and experience an improved feel for the road and vehicle handling as the day turns to night.
Driver safety is first and foremost. All standard RMS Road Rules for Learner Drivers apply, and each NIGHTDRIVE session is also be under the watchful observance of a Safety Officer from Driving Solutions – the ARDC’s long-term RMS-accredited driver training partner. The nights often feature additional insights and information from invited special guests including Police Road Safety Education personnel.
The Nightdrive for Learners safety initiative experience is courtesy of the Australian Racing Drivers’ Club – proud operators of the SMSP circuit.
While people may not automatically link driver training with the fast-paced, frenetic world of motorsport – its no surprise that the safety of drivers and the race cars is paramount at high speed and competitive racing. But did you also know that many of the safety features in modern cars such as anti-lock braking and even the humble rear-view mirror were all borne out of the world of motorsport? Since it began in1952, the ARDC has been at the very centre of Australian Motorsport and a major advocate for safer driving on Australian roads for almost seventy years!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
• NIGHTDRIVE is for learner drivers only (of any age) who must be accompanied by an appropriate supervisor (25+) at all times. Please bring your drivers’ licence as this will be sighted at registration - current Learner's Licence (driver) and an Unrestricted Civil Road Licence (supervisor) must be provided.
• NIGHTDRIVE sessions run for around 1 ½ to 2 hours, where the Learner and Supervisor take to the SMSP track to experience driving at night (NOTE: there is no in-car instruction etc).
• All participants (drivers and supervisors) are required to attend registration and a drivers’ briefing on the night prior to commencing the NIGHTDRIVE session.
• Drivers and their Supervisors begin with an important introductory briefing and a sighting (slow drive) lap of the circuit. Participants can spend as much or as little of the available time on track as they feel comfortable with.
• Venue access and registration commences at 5:30pm, followed by a briefing at 6:00pm. Drive sessions run from 6:15pm – 8:00pm. Hint: Arrive a little earlier to get your bearings, relax, and perhaps enjoy a coffee or snack from the ARDC Garage Cafe before the Drivers Briefing!
• Max Speed on the night is 80km/h. Drivers found in violation of these rules may be removed from the track.
• All standard RMS Road Rules for Learners Apply
• NIGHTDRIVE can count towards log-book hours: no additional hours or bonuses apply.
• The ARDC reserves the right to amend Terms & Conditions regarding NIGHTDRIVE at any time.
GET IN EARLY. WAITLISTS MAY APPLY
NIGHTDRIVE bookings open at 12 noon the day following the previous event. Pre-booking is essential given the overwhelming popularity of the event, and as numbers are limited to 60 cars per evening session.
A wait list will activate when capacity is reached. Please note the waitlist is for that event only and does not carry over to any future events.
*If in doubt, please call the ARDC on 9672 1000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your query and we will assist you.
Sessions are booked through HUMANITIX.